Saturday 29 December 2012

Making A Scarecrow

OK, I admit it!

I do things a little backwards sometimes.

I've been very keen to start my own veggie garden. To teach the girls about plants and gardening, save some money, and for the satisfaction of growing, harvesting and cooking my own food.

So the first thing we did was ... make a scarecrow!



A couple of months ago, I was looking for something to do to entertain the girls. So we went on an excursion to the op shop to buy clothes, and to Bunnings for sugar cane mulch and posts.

Over the course of a few days, Grace and I stuffed the clothes with mulch and put the scarecrow together.

The girls had some pink bandanas they had received at a fun day at the local school, so I made them into a knee patch, neck scarf and hat band. The head is an old pillowcase. We superglued buttons on for eyes, and Grace drew the smile with a permanent marker. The body is stuffed with plastic bags full of mulch, and the hands are cheap gardening gloves. There are a few strands of yellow wool for hair, but it is a bit sparse.


There's a little bit of gender confusion going on. Most people assume scarecrows are male, but this one has some feminine features. I named it 'Sammy Scarecrow' to keep the ambiguity going. So you can decide for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment