Monday 8 August 2011

Charlotte's First Day at Childcare

Today is my precious little baby's first day at childcare. Only a mother could know how it feels.



Intellectually, it makes sense. A space is available now, which we need when I go back to work in November. She is at an age where she might be less troubled by my leaving her with other people. Without the pressure of being at work, I can send her for half days while she gets used to it. I think it is a good centre, with capable and caring staff. And over time she will develop social skills, and learn things that I can't teach her.

I can make good use of my child-free time. There is a huge list of things to do around the house, and it means I can attend medical appointments without having to organise and pay for a babysitter.

But despite all that, it feels wrong. She is so little - only seven and a half months. Even good carers can't give the one-on-one attention she can get at home. And I miss her!

She's a very happy little girl, with a beautiful smile. She is very curious, and it is fun to watch her reaching out and exploring things, rolling and sliding to get where she wants to be, and gurgling with delight when she solves a problem.

That's probably the main thing. Time is passing. She's growing up. And even at this young age, I'm having to learn to let her go. That's hard. But I definitely need all the practice I can get!

2 comments:

  1. How was her first day! I think you are both brave xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlotte was apparently happy a lot of the time, then would realise I wasn't there and cry. She only did half a day, but didn't get much sleep while she was there. When I picked her up she was doing that funny snorting which means she'd cried for quite awhile. Poor little thing.

    ReplyDelete