Monday 10 December 2012

A Crafty Kid's Suitcase

If you're wondering why I've been making a few more things recently, here's the reason ... my resolution for next year (early, I know!) is to make gifts for my family and friends instead of purchasing them.

My theory is that handmade gifts are unique, may be slightly more budget friendly, and will give me the satisfaction of developing new skills and putting thought and time into special creations for my loved ones.

So I've been reading blogs, studying my sewing and craft books, and getting lots of great ideas. And some of them I've put into practise a little early.

Like this crafty kid's suitcase I finished today for my niece Ayla's birthday in late December. I got the idea from the Mousehouse blog (found here) and followed the instructions given in the tutorial for attaching the items to the lid of the suitcase.

The back of the card where I attached the elastic before glueing it to the inner lid of the suitcase.

Ayla is turning three, so my suitcase contains more art and craft items, instead of the sewing and stitching items included in the lovely Mousehouse examples.

The suitcase, with most of the items inside.

Once again I've had a grand time over the last few weeks collecting suitable items. This suitcase contains:

  • kid's scissors
  • a glue stick
  • sticky tape
  • little stamps
  • an ink pad
  • a miniature paint set
  • ribbon
  • glitter glue
  • blank cards and envelopes
  • small blank notebooks
  • chenille sticks
  • pop sticks
  • embroidery threads
  • a pen
  • a sheet of white felt
  • a pencil case (with a set of crayons inside)
  • a rainbow pencil
  • colourful stickers

I was really pleased with how it looked when it was all put together. Just like the photos included with recipes, it's great when your final craft outcome looks like the picture given with the instructions!

The suitcase as it looks completed and full.

Grace would love one of these suitcases, so I think I'll be doing this again in about six months time!

No comments:

Post a Comment