Monday 3 December 2012

A Simple Skirt

When I was young, my mother sewed a lot of pretty outfits for my sister and me.

I'm not sure how much I appreciated it at the time, but looking back it is very special. The lovely dresses, skirts, and coats she provided us with must have taken a lot of time and skill to make.

I'm now the very proud mother of three beautiful little girls, and I'd love to sew them some clothes.

I don't have lofty ambitions. There are beautiful items in the shops which I can purchase for a lot less than it would cost to make them.

I'm hoping to make fairly simple things, at least to begin with. Skirts, A-line dresses and pinafores. Nothing too complicated or tricky. Items that are special because they are unique, and they are made with love.

With three girls under three-and-a-half, I don't have a lot of spare time. But I've realised that I need to sew them clothes now, while they are still young enough to want to wear them!

So a few weeks ago, I was inspired by some fabric I saw at the Spotlight sale, and I made a start.

I was very impressed by the huge range of tutorials available online. I looked at quite a few, but worked mainly from the Simple Skirt Tutorial on the Dana Made It blog (found here), which was very easy to follow.

My fabric came with the ruffles on it, and the skirt is essentially a rectangle joined at the side, with an elastic band at the top. It has two layers, with a plain white lining finishing just shorter than the outside layer.

The first skirt I've sewn since school days.

I'm very proud of my first attempt, and it gave me a lot of satisfaction to make.

I initially sewed it with Charlotte in mind, but I think it might be a touch too big for her at the moment, so Grace will get to wear it first. That's the advantage of aiming to fit the middle child - you can't lose!

After I find a navy t-shirt for her to wear with it (which has been surprisingly hard to come by), I'll post a photo of Grace in the complete outfit.

And now I've mastered the simple skirt, I'm hoping to make plenty more!

No comments:

Post a Comment