Tuesday 1 January 2013

New Year's Resolutions 2013

Yep, it's that time of year again.

Time to look back on how things went over the last 12 months.

And time to look forward and set goals for the year ahead.

In my New Year's Resolutions post at the start of 2012 (found here), I set out to do four things:

  • Respect my body.
  • Improve my parenting skills.
  • Spend more time with my husband.
  • Spend more time with God.

I made a little bit of progress. I read quite a lot of 'Toddler Taming', and went on about four date nights with Neil. I kept good health during my pregnancy (it has fallen away a bit since then), and read the odd devotional. But I haven't really got there with any of them yet.

Not that it is clear where 'there' is!

These areas of life will always require attention. They're not goals I can cross off as done.

However, in 2013, I'd like to frame things slightly differently. Once again I'm focusing on broad principles. But I'll try to break it down into specific and achievable goals.

I'd like to make 2013 the year I Nurture The Relationships In My Life.

Specifically, I'd like to focus on my relationships with God, myself, Neil, my children, my family, my friends, my church, and others.

In measurable terms, I will:

  • Make the gifts I give to my family and friends. I'm already full of ideas. Just expect that your present might be a little bit late to arrive - especially if you're one of the seven people with birthdays in February!
  • Go on one date night a month with Neil.
  • Invite someone to our home for a meal each month. No matter what the house looks like.
  • Go on a family weekend away quarterly.
  • Spend some quiet time alone in prayer every day. Even if it is in the middle of the night.
  • Look into starting a small Bible study group with other parents of small children. Maybe mums one week, and dads the alternate week?
  • Find a way to convince myself I am 'good enough'.

I'm not sure how achievable that is, but I'll give it a go!

What about you? Do you have any resolutions for the year ahead?

No comments:

Post a Comment