Sunday 21 August 2011

A Sabbath Picnic That Ended In Lipstick

Yesterday was a lovely, sunny Melbourne day. We travelled to Plenty Valley Adventist Church in the morning, to reconnect with friends from what was previously my home church. Then, after a 45-minute drive (so the girls would have a little sleep) we had a picnic lunch in a park near where we planned to visit Neil's aunt in hospital.


Our menu was simple. Grape juice, grilled vegetable loaf (for want of a better name!), and fresh strawberries for dessert.

Here's the 'recipe':

On Friday I bought a fancy "artisan cheese" loaf of bread from Woolies. When I got home I cut it in half, and spread each side with chunky basil dip (the yummy one with cashews and parmesan in). I grilled some sliced zucchini, capsicum and pumpkin - but no eggplant because I hadn't been able to find any in the supermarket. Some semi-dried tomatoes, feta, and rocket and baby spinach leaves completed the fillings, which I placed in the loaf of bread in layers. Then I wrapped it firmly in cling film, tied it up with string, and put it in the fridge overnight with a pumpkin on top so that it would be nicely compressed. The result was easy to slice and very yummy!


Charlotte found it hard to keep her eyes open in the bright sunshine, but we all enjoyed being outside again after a long period of wintery weather.

After visiting Aunty Margaret, we climbed back into the "big blue truck" for the trip home. Which is when a bored, tired two-year-old wreaked a little bit of havoc! Grace found my make-up bag on the back seat (I'd put my make-up on in the car on the way to church, as you do when you have little kids!). By the time I realised what had happened, the damage was done!


Needless to say, the first thing that happened when we got home was a bath! If only the clothes were so easy to clean. Any tips on how to remove the stains would be very welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment