Wednesday 10 August 2011

Sisters

I sat Charlotte in the bumbo to watch TV this morning while I packed her bag for childcare. Grace came and sat beside her, and read her a book. They looked very cute together.


Charlotte's face lights up when Grace comes into the room, and she reaches out to touch her (and grab her hair!). Grace loves to cuddle and kiss Charlotte (although it can look more like a headlock sometimes!), and they both enjoy a giggle together. I know that they will have plenty of arguments as they grow up, but I hope they can always retain the special bond they share.

I have a younger sister, Janelle, and there is a similar gap in our ages. We had a lot of fun together growing up, as well as our share of fights. As a teen it was great to have someone there and on my side. Even if she was allowed to do all the things I had waited for years for permission to do!

Julie and Janelle (about 1976)
Neil's mother, Iris, and her elder sister Margaret, spoke on the phone several times a day in the years before Iris' death. They spent 85 years as sisters and shared all the ups and downs of life.

Margaret and Iris (2004)
I'm hoping that in 80-something years from now, Grace and Charlotte can look back and appreciate having had each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment