Thursday 11 August 2011

Sock Buddy

I bought a fun craft book at K-mart recently - 'kid's crafternoon sewing', edited by Kathreen Ricketson (see below). I figure projects for kids to do in an afternoon should be projects I can manage!


One of the projects is a "sock buddy" made from a knee-high sock. I got myself a cheap pair of socks and a needle and thread (I didn't bother with the sewing machine this time) and made a little soft toy. Here is a photo of the finished product:


It was a pretty inexpensive project. I only used one sock ($2), some thread, buttons and felt from my sewing/craft cupboard, and a little strip of red polar fleece from Neil's snuggy (some fabric in my stash which he has adopted as a blanket when watching TV). The stuffing was repurposed from a dead cushion I was going to throw away.

I put the body together on Tuesday night (although I have to confess, I stayed up until 11:00pm to do it!), and then added the face and other finishing touches last night.

This is a bit of a staged photo, but Grace does really love her new "teddy". She (I am informed it is definitely a girl teddy) went to childcare with Grace on Wednesday - without a face or scarf. (In the photo in my last post you can probably see her on the floor beside Grace.) Then today she came to the shops with us, and is in bed with Grace tonight.


In time I'll have to convert the second sock into a "teddy" for Charlotte. It is very gratifying to see the pleasure that something so simple can bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment