Saturday 8 February 2014

Mum in the Picture

I read a piece on Huffington Post the other night that really resonated with me. Here's the link:

The Mom Stays in the Picture

It touched a chord, because I too avoid mirrors. I'm always behind the camera. I love taking photos of my children. But I actively try to stay out of the photos myself.

I thought it would be interesting to look back and find the last photos of me with the girls. And I had to look a long way back!

Here's what I found:

This is Lucinda and me at her first birthday party in June, 2013. It's the most recent photo I could find of the two of us. That's not too bad - only seven months ago!

Multiple hairy chins and flat, lifeless hair ... but happy to be with my baby.

This is the last time that Charlotte and I had a picture together. On holiday in Yamba in April, 2013.

Rolls of tummy fat and thunder thighs ... but being part of the action with my cheeky Charlotte.

I have a lot of beautiful photos of Grace. But finding one of us together wasn't easy. I had to go back to September, 2011 to find this gorgeous shot.

Tuckshop arms and chubby cheeks ... but enjoying cuddles with Grace at the Tesselaar Tulip Festival.

I have a lot of what are most probably quite unhealthy thoughts and feelings about my appearance. It's easy to let them dictate my actions.

But that's something I'm going to try and change.

My girls are still young enough to not really care how I look. And I don't want to teach them any differently.

They just want me to be there. And I am. I'm a huge part of their lives.

When they look back, they deserve to see that.

I want them to see the joy that being their mother brings me. I want them to see the fun things we did together. I want them to see the love I have for them.

I want them to see me.

No comments:

Post a Comment