Friday 7 September 2012

Our Nanny Donna

Today was a sad day in our house.

It was the last day Donna (the nanny) was with us.

When I first found out I needed the cancer surgery, I made enquiries through the Maternal and Child Health Centre about what assistance I could receive to look after the girls while I was in hospital. I knew three little girls (including a four week old) would be a handful for Neil on his own, and he was also very busy with work. Through a whole series of events, I ended up being approved for a period of government-funded In Home Care.

Donna was the nanny sent to us from the agency. She has been with us three days a week for a total of nine weeks, starting the week of my surgery. And she has been a real godsend.

Donna with Charlotte, Lucinda and Grace.

Very calm and capable, I have felt quite confident leaving the girls with Donna when necessary. That was important, as I've had a lot of medical appointments over the last few months. And when I've been home, she has been both a big support and great company. We're all going to miss her.

We settled into a routine over the last little while, and both Grace and Charlotte knew what to expect. On Monday and Wednesday they went to childcare. On Tuesday, Thursday and Friday Donna came to play. They would start looking out the window for her around 7:15am, which was difficult for me as she didn't usually start until 9:00am! She would be met with big smiles and hugs, and usually an "I love you" from Grace.

Donna made little frog and duck puppets for us, as well as homemade pink play dough. She spent an hour or two most afternoons doing craft or cooking with Grace while the younger girls slept. She taught Grace how to pedal her bicycle, and play hide 'n seek. She read lots of stories to Charlotte, and was adept at putting Lucinda to sleep. And she managed to tidy the kitchen and fold a lot of laundry at the same time.

Our funding has run out now, and Donna is moving on to a new family next week. I'm going to be on my own.

That said, I'm never on my own with three little girls all clamouring for my attention! I'll miss the adult conversation though. And it will probably take the girls a little while to get used to the fact that I can't provide the same level of involvement on my own as Donna and I could do together.

Thanks for all your help, Donna. You are a wonderful nanny, and we're really going to miss you. All the best in the future. And please do keep in touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment