Monday 24 September 2012

Mice Aren't Nice

We live in an old house, that will soon be demolished.

It is quite liveable, in many ways.

The heating is reasonably effective. There are new kitchen cupboards and appliances. The walls have been painted, and we've put up curtains.

Yes, there are termites in the dining room wall and floor, tiles missing in the bathrooms, and taps that don't work. I can cope with these issues.

Today, I realised what I couldn't cope with.

The mice.

I've had brief encounters before. When mum and I were cleaning out the cupboards before Lucinda was born, we saw plenty of evidence of mice, and I found one in a drawer. Mum had a mouse run between her legs while on her way to the bathroom one night. Neil set some traps, and caught about three.  Then I got busy with other things and didn't give them too much thought.

Until recently.

I got up to make a bottle for Charlotte the other night, and saw a mouse run from the linen cupboard into the kitchen. And whenever I sat at my desk to work on the computer, I found more evidence of rodent activity.

Mouse droppings on my desk.

I pulled one of the boxes of baby clothes out of the cupboard last week, because Lucinda has gone up a size. Guess what I found on the shelf?

More mouse droppings, with a new trap set.

I complained about all of this to Neil, who obviously listened and set some more traps. He just forgot to tell me that he'd done it!

This morning I sat down at my desk to check my email, and something started moving beside me. A mouse was caught with its arm in the trap, and the rest of it was flailing about attempting to get free.

I didn't scream, but I definitely left the room in a hurry!

My unwelcome intruder.

I tried later to be brave and pick it up and take it outside, but whenever I approached it would start moving again, and I just couldn't do it. So I went out for the morning, and avoided the room for the rest of the day. Thankfully, Grace and Charlotte were at childcare and not asking to watch the Wiggles on youtube!

Obviously, the fact that I am writing this post means the mouse has gone. Neil kindly dealt with it when he got home from work. I've spent the evening starting the clean up. But I still feel uneasy.

Mice must be able to climb up onto furniture, and squeeze through small holes. What if they come into our bedrooms at night? What if they are in the pantry? Or scurrying over our dishes? Why doesn't the dog scare them off? Where are they coming from? How many are there? How can we get rid of them?

I don't know the answers to these questions. But one thing I do know for sure.

Mice aren't nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment