Tuesday 1 January 2013

A Rag Doll - Part 1

I was going through my craft box the other night, and came across a calico doll I made. It must have been while I was in university - nearly 20 years ago!

This particular UFO (unfinished object) must be one of the oldest in my collection, and has travelled Australia with me. I thought it was high time I got it finished!

The calico doll's body.

The first thing I did was embroider the facial features (and I admit, I un-picked and re-did them a couple of times before I was happy).

The completed doll's face.

Next was the hair, which I had no idea how to do before coming across a tutorial on the Quaint and Quirky blog (found here). The instructions were really clear, and I didn't have too much trouble (except with the wool, which Grace had 'rearranged' for me earlier in the year).

Never leave a 2-year-old alone with two balls of wool!

My only tip would be to check the size of your doll's head. Because I already had a body, and didn't use the tutorial pattern, the hair was a little bit shorter than I would have liked.

This is what the doll looks like now:

Isn't she cute?

The hair is in a short bob, because it was only this long at the front.

I don't think I could be a hairdresser!

Next I'll make the clothes. Grace has reminded me a few times already.

"Mummy, the dolly is cold!"

No comments:

Post a Comment