Thursday 3 January 2013

Home Grown Beetroot

I haven't shown you pictures of the veggie garden yet, but I can tell you that the other day I harvested the first of our produce.

Delicious little baby beetroot that were originally purchased on Mother's Day, and unintentionally spent several months in a tray of seedlings on the front porch before being planted.

I wasn't quite sure when to harvest them, but did a quick Google search after noticing the globes protruding above the ground. I learned that you can leave beetroot to grow as big as you like, but the smaller, golf ball sized globes are most tender. Mine were about that size, so I picked them.

Baby beetroot picked fresh from the garden.

Filled with enthusiasm, I found a recipe on the All Recipes website for a Beetroot, Rocket, Feta and Walnut Salad (found here). I had all the ingredients, so with only minor modifications to the recipe I made a delicious salad that Neil and I enjoyed with our dinner. (The girl's taste buds weren't adventurous enough to try it.)

Beetroot, rocket, feta and walnut salad.

I did include quite a few of the smaller beetroot leaves too, which looked and tasted good.

We're constantly picking and using spinach leaves, but the next big crop from the garden will hopefully be tomatoes. I'm looking forward to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment