Tuesday 10 December 2013

The most wonderful time of the year??

On Sunday I purchased a new CD.

The Christmas Album, by Human Nature.


I thought the great harmonies and Christmas tunes would cheer me up.

And the music is great. I love it. But the lyrics got me thinking.

"Have yourself a merry little Christmas,
Let your heart be light.
From now on
Our troubles will be out of sight."

Really?

Contrary to the movies, there is no special magic about Christmas.

It's just a day.

A day on which some people have accidents. Continue to battle chronic illnesses. Run out of money. Lose babies. Die. Problems will not suddenly disappear when Christmas day dawns.

When I think about it, there are a lot of Christmas songs that build up unrealistic expectations of the festive season. One of the worst culprits (fortunately not on the Human Nature album) is 'It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Year'.

"It's the hap-happiest season of all
With those holiday greetings and gay happy meetings
When friends come to call
It's the hap-happiest season of all."

I don't know about you, but friends calling unannounced over Christmas usually sends me into a panic. The house is a mess. The kids are misbehaving. I haven't got a present to give them. My baking didn't turn out - if I actually got around to doing it. I'm happy to see them. But it's so much work!

Do the expectations of Christmas wear you down?

On Christmas day, I am expected to prepare a fancy meal and have it all on the table at the correct time, perfectly cooked.

I'm expected to buy presents for my family and friends that they will love, while at the same time not blowing the budget.

Everyone is expected to get along famously, even if they haven't spoken all year.

And we are all expected to feel happier than at any other time.

This was all getting a bit much for me, when I came to another song on the album:

"Amazing grace
How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me ...
My chains are gone
I've been set free
My God, my Saviour's ransomed me
And like a flood His mercy reigns
Unending love
Amazing grace."

Christmas day isn't magical. But what it celebrates is miraculous.

Jesus was born. God became a human.

His birth sets me free.

God has no expectations, except that I come to Him.

I can be physically broken. Emotionally drained. A failure.

I can be worn out. Broke. A mess.

But if I come, He will accept me. He will love me. He will change me.

And that really is wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment