Thursday 8 August 2013

A Library Bag for Grace

I found out last week that we needed to supply Grace with a library bag for kindy. A drawstring bag was the recommended style.

I had a quick look around the shops, but didn't see anything suitable. I wasn't trying too hard though, as the thought had already occurred to me that this might be a great sewing opportunity. I didn't even look online!

During a break at work today I popped in to Lincraft and purchased half a metre of kid's furnishing fabric and a metre of cord. This is what I turned it into tonight:


The finished library bag.


I didn't follow a pattern, but just cut a length of fabric, folded it in half (right sides together) and sewed side seams, then turned the top over and sewed the pouch for the drawstring cord.


Do you think it is colourful enough?


I attached a large pink spot on one side to make the design a little bit more interesting, then added a running stitch around the edge by hand. Looking at it now, I should have made the spot bigger. I'll have to remember that for next time!

I toyed with the idea of adding Grace's name to really personalise the bag, but I figured it was fairly unique already!


Detail of the decorative spot.


I'm rather pleased with how the bag turned out. And even more pleased by the fact it only cost me about $7.50. Definitely cheaper than anything I would have found online!

No comments:

Post a Comment