Monday 6 January 2014

Christmas Brunch

We saw both my parents and my brother and his family over the recent holiday period.

Not on Christmas Day itself. But we managed a Christmas brunch two days early.

I figured that wasn't bad going!

Christmas brunch laid out (with the girl's art gallery behind!).

Having it the day after Charlotte's party meant a bit of hard work. But fortunately Grandma and Grandpa were on hand to help out. And we cheated with a few purchased items.

The fresh fruit Christmas tree prepared by Grandpa.

The menu included:

  • bircher muesli (dairy free)
  • parfaits with fancy granola, thick greek-style yoghurt and fresh strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and pomegranate seeds (I invented the recipe)
  • croissants (purchased from Costco)
  • danish pastries, including maple pecan twists (also purchased from Costco)
  • fresh fruit Christmas tree (following a picture I found on Pinterest, but couldn't locate a site to give credit to)
  • Christmas cake (purchased from Costco)
  • mini pancake stacks with maple syrup and blueberries (my recipe, presented as I had seen in some pictures online)
  • zucchini, feta & basil muffins with cherry tomatoes (from a recipe found here)
  • scrambled eggs
  • roast tomatoes
  • breakfast potatoes
  • mushrooms with butter, garlic & thyme
  • orange, apple and tomato juices

Breafast parfaits with granola, yoghurt and fresh berries.

Mini pancake stacks with maple syrup and blueberries.

Zucchini, feta & basil muffins with cherry tomatoes.


The weather was a bit cool, which thwarted my plans to eat outside. But we were able to put two folding tables together lengthwise to make one long table we could all sit at comfortably on the back porch.

I purchased four metres of hessian from Bunnings to make a rustic tablecloth, over which I placed a centrepiece I already had, and two little red planters with thyme and oregano in. The glasses had red and white striped straws, we used red paper serviettes, and there was a bon bon at each place setting. It was all thrown together pretty much at the last minute, but I thought it worked OK.

The table looks pretty - but where's the food?

The family ready to eat (Emma & Ruben not pictured).

My handsome hubby.

Lucinda enjoying herself as always.

Everyone had a good time eating, then it was time to head inside for presents.

Grandpa Santa with his three little helpers.

Charlotte unwrapping a present.

Grace doing the same.

Ayla seems pleased with this one.

Charlotte playing with the special dominos Grandpa made her.

Grace's other cousins gave her a pig dress up suit.

It is lovely to see the children get so excited. And for me, it was really nice to spend time with the majority of my family at such a significant time of year.

I wonder what we'll do next year?

No comments:

Post a Comment