Thursday 11 October 2012

Cup Day

No, it's not the first Tuesday in November just yet.

It's a far more important day in our house.

Today is the day Grace officially becomes a "big girl" and drinks her milk from a cup instead of a bottle.

Drinking some milk from her special new cup.

I've been aware that we need to do this for quite awhile, but I have to admit I've been dreading it. For Grace a bottle is comfort and security, and a means of falling asleep. She is used to having a bottle when going to bed, and during the day whenever she is upset (which is sometimes quite often!). Now that is all about to change.

I figure it is best to get it done while things are relatively stable, as our lives don't tend to stay that way for long. I'm not currently on IVF or pregnant, Neil and I are both well, and we're not moving house or renovating. So there's no time like the present!

On a shopping expedition this morning we found a special cup with a princess, castle, flowers, and lots of glitter on it. We also got a 'Pillow Pet' to provide extra comfort in bed.

'Lily Ladybird'.

I purchased a couple of balloons in Grace's favourite colours (pink and yellow), as well as four little cupcakes which we enjoyed after dinner to celebrate this momentous occasion.

If there are balloons, then it's a party!

Cute little cupcakes purchased from Browns.`

After dinner we had a special ceremony where all Grace's bottles were collected and placed in the rubbish bin (so neither of her parents could relent over the next few days).

Yes, that is a look of pure terror on Neil's face!

"Bye bye, bottles."

After the bottles were disposed of, Grace received a present. She was also promised a special trip to the shops (complete with babyccino) to choose a new DVD, after we've made it through the next week.

Stamps and a Dora book (not pictured) were Grace's special presents.

I have to say, I'm pleased with the way she has coped so far. She is happy drinking milk from the cup, and although there were a few tears when she wanted a bottle (and she had one last one late this afternoon) she has been pretty good.

It took until 9:00 pm tonight for Grace to be tired enough to go to sleep, and I didn't push her. I tucked her in with Lily Ladybird, and she went to sleep all by herself. Sans bottle. Hooray!

I know there will be tough times in the next few days, but I also know that she can do it.

I'm very, very proud of my big girl Grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment