Monday 6 August 2012

Picture Perfect

Well, almost!

I have a very large collection of recipe books. I love them! I do a bit more reading and planning than I do cooking, but I enjoy preparing new dishes, especially when entertaining.

However, if you search my collection, there is something you are not likely to find. I very rarely buy a recipe book without pictures.

I need a picture of the finished product to pique my interest, inspire me, give me guidance about 'plating up', and provide a yardstick against which to measure my effort.

On Friday night Nicole came over for dinner, and among other things I decided to make the "Tahini-dressed courgette and green bean salad" from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's 'River Cottage Veg Everyday!' cookbook (2011, Bloomsbury Publishing). The publishers thought the photograph was so inspiring it is featured on the back cover of the book. (It is a great recipe book too, by the way).

I couldn't locate any yellow zucchini at this time of year, but otherwise I thought I didn't put in too bad an effort. What do you think?


The tahini dressing (with ingredients including crushed garlic, lemon zest  and orange juice) was absolutely delicious, and I'm sure I'll make it again.

They say a picture paints a thousand words, but in recipe books they often paint just one. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment