Tuesday 6 September 2011

Father Figures

I don't want to let Father's Day get too far away without saying a few words about the two fantastic fathers in my life.


First of all, my dad, Bob. Reliable, supportive, creative, trustworthy, and smart.

I can remember Friday nights sitting in front of the oil heater listening to music, Sabbath afternoon walks in the bush looking for orchids, attending numerous eisteddfods where you sat patiently listening to child after child play the same piece, and regular letters and phone calls that kept me connected to home.

Thank you for all the sacrifices you made to pay for me to go to school, to learn music, and to attend special youth events. Thank you for making me furniture, a dolls house, my shell cabinet, and many other things. Thank you for all you've taught me. And thank you for always being there to support me through the different stages of my life. You are a great father (and grandpa) and I love you.


Next, my wonderful husband and father to our two little girls, Neil.

Thank you for your hard work, which provides for us as a family. Thank you for your sense of humour, which makes our lives so much fun. Thank you for the dirty nappies you've changed, the nights you've sat up (or driven great distances) with a sick baby, and all the other ways you've helped to care for our daughters.

The girls love spending time with you. They love it when they see you coming home. They love cuddling with you in the chair. They love walks to the playground with you. They love you, full stop. And so do I.

It's a bit late, but Happy Father's Day to you both. You deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment