Monday 5 March 2012

Awesome Yackandandah

How cool is Yackandandah?

I had never been to this historic little town before, but we visited on Sunday to browse the shops and have some lunch, and I was really impressed. A cute historic streetscape, fascinating antique and vintage shops, and a great community feel.

Neil and Charlotte taking a walk down the main street.

Obviously there are at least a few locals who are into crafting, too!

Someone had taken the time to crochet colourful woollen covers for a few of the guard rails/bike racks along the main street:

Grace posing in front of one of the covers.

Detail from another cover.

Several shops were decorated with bunting, either made from colourful fabric, or (what I thought was a great idea to copy) ladies hankies:

Bunting made from hankies (I have quite a collection of those!).

More colourful decoration.

At one shop Grace made friends with the owner's little girl, Charlie, and the two of them sat at a table drawing and talking for a long time. When we finally dragged her away, Grace had a picture to take home and lots of happy memories. Meanwhile I enjoyed browsing the vintage and retro items, many of which I recognised from my childhood, or my mother-in-law's home!

My favourite window display.

I really enjoyed the hour or two we spent in Yackandandah, and would definitely recommend a visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment