Thursday 2 February 2012

Negotiation Nightmares

I should have seen it coming.

They don't call it "the terrible two's" for nothing.

We'd been going along well with Grace. Discounting times when she was tired, hungry or both, her behaviour wasn't too hard to manage.

Before.

Now I seem to have suddenly woken up in a nightmare. Everything requires negotiation.

And when I say everything, I mean everything.

Eating, drinking, changing her nappy, getting dressed, getting undressed, sleeping, bathing, what we will buy at the shops, what we will watch on TV, getting into the car, getting out of the car, wearing her seatbelt, going to bed ... you get the idea.

No wonder I feel exhausted!

Those who knew me during my international travelling days will know that I was never that good at driving a hard bargain. As a salesman in Africa once told me, "you're very kind"!

But then Grace will say "I love you very much, Mummy" and give me a big cuddle and kiss, and I'll remember why I do it.


I guess that is the way God designed it to be. Just enough rewarding moments to keep us parents going!

No comments:

Post a Comment