Wednesday 13 February 2013

A Valentine's Day Gift

Tonight I made a simple little gift for Valentine's Day.

Another idea gleaned from Pinterest, I added an appliqued heart after I couldn't find any fabric with hearts on. I think I like this version better anyway!

A framed 'Love You' with appliqued heart.

Here's how to do it:

  1. Take the glass out of a photo frame (I had a spare one in the cupboard).
  2. Cut a piece of cardboard to fit inside the frame.
  3. Cut a piece of fabric about 2cm larger than the cardboard, then iron it.
  4. Iron some double-sided interfacing onto a small piece of red fabric.
  5. Draw a heart shape on the interfacing paper, then cut it out.
  6. Lay everything out to determine where to place the heart. 
  7. Remove the backing paper and iron the heart into position.
  8. Use a contrasting thread to stitch around the heart.
  9. Attach the backing fabric to the cardboard, using tape or a hot glue gun.
  10. Place the fabric-covered cardboard inside the frame, and secure the back.
  11. Use a hot glue gun to glue the letters in place.

A close up view.

What made this gift extra special to me was the fact that the Scrabble pieces are left over from our wedding.

When planning our reception, I had the idea of spelling each person's name in Scrabble letters instead of using place cards. Neil's mother and my family all enjoyed playing Scrabble, and I thought it might give people something to play with if they got bored during the speeches!

I bought a couple of bags of mixed Scrabble pieces from Ebay, and my very clever father made little stands to put them on. The hard part was working out exactly how many of each letter I needed! 

One of the place settings at the wedding (before the flowers were placed on the candelabras).

A message made for us by a table of wedding guests.

It's nice to have this connection between our wedding and my Valentine's Day gift for Neil. And it's nice to actually look back at the details of our day, which can easily be lost in the rush of everyday life.

In a brief speech at our wedding, I spoke of the fact that the name 'Neil' means "champion". Back then, I only knew a man who had captured my heart, and the dreams that we shared for the future.

Now I know a man who isn't perfect, but is still great to have around. I know a man who is a loving and involved father to my children, and who helps, supports and encourages me. I know the hardships we have been through together, the good times we have shared, and the dreams we still hold for the future.

Neil, you will always be my champion. And I'll love you forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment